September 16, 2012

The Mayhem of Marghab II

Set of Marghab Knight cocktail napkins
Yesterday I admitted I am a linen nut. And when I see Marghab linens "out and about" priced ridiculously low, I get a little crazy. I will do anything, regardless of how pathetic or ridiculous I look, to make sure they leave with me lest physically steal them from another's pile/cart (which I have had happen to me multiple times at estate sales).

A few weeks ago I went to a huge antique/vintage textile and linen sale. Huge. Aisles and racks of vintage and antique linens of all kinds. Quilts, wool blankets, every type of table and bed linen, old tribal kilim face bags - everything. And all heaped upon each other with no real organization. It was every woman for her own. The sale began at 9 am; I arrived at 9:45 and was thinking that "all the good stuff" was probably already snatched up by the dealers who had been waiting in line to get in at 9.

Various Marghab patterns, clockwise from top left: Mallard,
Knight, Jacaranda Tree, Topiary, Greek Key, Sweet Pea 
So to make a long story short, there were, on the bottom rack of one of the aisle shelves, little bins where sets of napkins, etc... had been put into plastic bags and priced so that they would not get separated in the shuffle. There were four of these bins. I made a cursory dig looking for the low hanging fruit my first time around but didn't want to waste too much time rifling through these little bins when treasures could still be lurking elsewhere.

I eventually made my way back to the bins to do a little more in-depth digging. I was on my third bin or so when another woman came down to the bins to search what I had just gone through for herself. I sort of kept a curious eye on the things she pulled out which I had discarded and noticed out of the corner of my eye in her hand all of the sudden - A SET OF MARGHAB KNIGHT COCKTAIL NAPKINS. For $3.50! Enter: rush. Major, major blood rush. I HAD to have these napkins. It was, as I mentioned in my previous post, a collector's dream to find these in THIS exact situation.

Did she know what they were? I hoped the hell not. I was hoping she'd toss them back into the bin thinking they were just stodgy old knights on horses and who liked that kind of thing. Did she appreciate them on their own simple merit of possessing absolutely exquisite embroidery? She did - and that is why she LEFT THEM IN HER PILE! NOOOOOOOOO, my heart was silently crying. NO! HOW COULD I HAVE MISSED THEM in that bin? I was at once furious with myself, sad knowing that I probably missed out on them, pissed that someone else got to them and thus jealous of them.

Who knew old vintage linens could bring out these types of emotions - all at once?!


Detail of expert embroidery on the beloved
Carrots and Peas pattern
So, this is where I get pathetic. Even though I was essentially done digging (and how could I concentrate on ANYTHING other than the Marghab now?!) I lingered around those bins like a lost puppy, waiting for her to decide what to do with the Marghab. I mindlessly looked through what was in front of me over and over again, feigning interest in ridiculous pieces, looking over bins of crap for all I was concerned at that point and a rack of tea towels for what seemed like centuries, keeping an eagle eye on the Marghab in her pile, waiting to see if she returned them to the bin.

Well, the lady took them along with some other bags back to her cart which was heaped high with linens. (I have to say here that I did NOT consider this to be a "lady" at the time... more like something which rhymed with "witch"). My heart broke. She was obviously a dealer yet I could tell she did not know they were Marghab and that really infuriated me. She did not deserve them, I was convinced. She was there with her mother, and after she had placed the pile in which the Marghab was included onto the heap, she went back for more searching. I lingered around her cart, watching to see what she would do with the napkins. I did some serious searching all the while upon the shelves around me, but my heart and mind were all about the Marghab.

I wanted to be there in case she for some reason decided against them - which I was sure she wouldn't at this point - but I was glad to take her hopeful Marghab discards. However, I realized that other treasures still buried deep within the linen shelf piles were still to be had, so I gave up. I left the Marghab alone and went where? Back to the little bins. Maybe there was more Marghab there. Another set! Yes, maybe!

Close up of a more uncommon pattern, Wild Rose.
This is a breakfast set, 1 placemat and 2 napkins.
So as I settled back in, down the woman came with who knows what: a pile she was getting ready to put back in the bins. And guess what was on top of her pile? The stodgy old knights and who likes anything like that! Being the so gracious and civil linen woman I am, I kindly offered my hand to hers and said, "Here, let me put those back in the bin for you. I'll take them." She handed them to me thinking she was getting rid of worthless stuff. But I got the last laugh.

I GOT THE MARGHAB!

5 comments:

  1. I came across your "mayhem" post while researching my Marghab Blue Violets hankies that I want to sell.

    I am not a collector or dealer but my heart was pounding as I, too, waited and hoped for the woman to discard the Knights cocktail napkins into your sweating palms.

    Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have 17 placements a table runner and napkins all in perfect condition in the box. They are Marghab "old france" a pale peachy pinkish color with a taupe stitched scalloped edge. They even have the tags and tissue paper. I have no idea how to go about pricing them or selling them. Any ideas?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing in. Marghab's Old France pattern is quite beautiful. If you'd like to email me by utilizing the "Email Me" tab on the right side of the blog I'd be happy to help you through the process.

      Delete
  3. It would seem I have nothing better to do than sit down to read, when I have a house full of 75 year old things for which I must find a home. The 'read' was great! Now, as your last reader queried,how do I price a hand towel with a green on white,bunch-bouquet-sprig of flowers? Also,the knights remind me of some cocktail napkins I have-square, white, with a blue/grey and red embroidered rooster in the corner. Would these be Marghab, also?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for writing in. The best way to research your items would be via eBay and various other linen sites across the net... If you'd like to email me by finding the "Email me" box on the right side of the blog, I'd be happy to tell you if the napkins are indeed Marghab and also information re. any other linens and/or textiles you have.

      Delete

I love comments; share your voice with me. Thanks for visiting BellaTarra Vintage!